Thursday 31 July 2014

Imagine: A past life


In Buddhist countries the idea of having past lives is not considered unusual.  In Tibet, for example, people believe that the Dalai Lama is reincarnated each time he dies.  So the current Dalai Lama was chosen when he was a child because he had certain characteristics or mannerisms which were similar to the former Dalai Lama or former Dalai Lamas. 

In some ways Japan is a Buddhist country but people do not seem to take the religion as seriously as in Tibet.  There are many Buddhist temples, and people go there for funerals or to celebrate New Year or other festivals.  But they also get married in a Christian church.  And they ask for the help of local Shinto gods when they go to shrines for the worship of the spirits of mountains, an oddly shaped rock etc. 

Do Japanese people believe in reincarnation, or past lives?  I would be interested to hear my students’ opinions or stories. 

The reason I have been thinking about past lives today is because in a Haruki Murakami short story I have been reading, one of the characters claimed to remember her past life as an eel.  This is good timing since on Tuesday this week, it is traditional to eat eel in Japan.  I think any country which seriously believed in Buddhism couldn’t have a special day to eat eel since the eel may have once been a human or may one day become a human. 

But anyway, it reminded me of a belief I had when I was younger.  When I was in elementary school (we call it primary school in the UK), I decided that in my past life I had been John Lennon.  I had no evidence for this; it was just a feeling that rose up in me. 

A few years later I found out that John Lennon died on 8th December 1980 (or 9th December, UK time), several days before I was born.  I liked the idea that John Lennon’s spirit floated around the world for several days before finding a newborn baby to inhabit.  Perhaps he was flying from New York to the UK, looking for Liverpool and got a little bit lost and ended up in Glasgow? 

I can’t say that I truly believe that I was John Lennon in a past life.  It is just a feeling that I remember.  And if I was possessed by his spirit, he unfortunately did not bring much of his musical genius with him.  I can play the guitar and have written a few songs.  But they haven’t sold 100 million copies yet.  They haven’t sold even 1 copy yet. 

But, like him, I am a bit of a dreamer.  Like him, I married an older Japanese woman.  I think I will carry on imagining that there is a little of John Lennon inside of me.  It must be better than having a little eel inside of you... especially on July 29th.

 
Vocabulary:
To be reincarnated – To be reborn as another person or creature.
A characteristic – A property which sets something or someone apart or makes it unique.  For example, a characteristic of mammals is their warm blood.
a mannerism – A habit or way of behaving  that  somebody has but is not aware of.  A good actor can imitate the voice and mannerisms of another person.
A funeral – A ceremony held when someone dies.
Oddly – Strangely; unusually.
An eel – A kind of fish which is long and thin and looks a little like a snake.
Evidence – If you try to prove something, you look for evidence.  For example, after a murder, the police collect blood, ask witnesses what they saw etc.  They are collecting evidence.
To inhabit something or somewhere – To live in something or somewhere.  For example, this island is inhabited by cats.
To be possessed – To be taken over by a spirit or ghost or demon etc.  For example, in the film “The Exorcist”, a little girl is possessed by a demon.
 
 

 

No comments: