Thursday 21 August 2014

Gie’s a brek!

Can you identify the language used in the title of this article? 

Anyone from my hometown will recognise it immediately, but many native speakers of English would struggle to understand what the sentence means or even to identify it as a variant of English.

It is Scottish English, more specifically from Glasgow or the surrounding area.  “Gie’s a brek”, translated into standard English means, “Give me a break”.

My Japanese wife went to Glasgow to study English and when she got there, she wondered why so many people were speaking German.  It’s not German.  We just have a strong accent and a strong local identity, with many idioms or expressions which are not used in the rest of the English speaking world.

I guess I had a similar experience.  When I first came to Japan I lived in Osaka.  I wondered why I couldn’t find many of the expressions and words I heard around me in my Japanese textbook.  “Maido, Okini!” 

Perhaps it would not be useful for most of my students to closely study Glaswegian English unless they intend to go to Glasgow.  But it might be fun anyway to try to guess the meanings of some phrases.  So I will write some below.  See if you can guess any correctly and let me know how you get on:
 

Gonnae no dae that!
Will you please not do that!
 
Ah’m aff tae buy a bunnet.
I’m off to buy a hat.
 
Where’s the burds?
Where are the women/chicks?
 
Ah cannae dae it.
I can’t do it.

Y’aw right, hen?  How’s it gaw’n?
Are you all right, dear?  How are you?

He’s a Weejie.
He’s a Glaswegian.

 

No comments: