Thursday 8 January 2015

Resolutions -決意-

A resolution is a firm decision to take action.  It is a statement of your intention to do or change something.
If the United Nations decides to take some action, then they also call their decision a resolution.  For example, they may pass a resolution promising to cut the amount of CO2 that they release into the atmosphere, or set a target to reduce child poverty in the world.
In a similar way, individuals can make a resolution.  This is traditionally done at New Year.  People make a firm decision to lose weight, to save money, to stop drinking so much...  And, like the United Nations resolutions, these promises of positive action sound good but are rarely achieved.
My resolution for 2014 was to spend two hours every day studying Japanese, writing fiction or practicing the guitar.  Basically, I wanted to use my time more effectively.  Unfortunately, I was only successful in doing this for about five months and I spent the rest of the year feeling guilty about not sticking to my resolution.
This year my resolution is to increase the number of my students.  Perhaps you can help me.  If you have any friends who are interested in studying English, pass them my email address and perhaps we can arrange lessons via Skype or in person.
Otherwise, after five months I will have to spend the rest of this year feeling guilty again...


Vocabulary:
CO2 – Carbon dioxide, a gas.
the atmosphere – the air around the Earth
To stick to something – to continue doing something.  For example, I stuck to my diet for two months before I quit.

 

No comments: