Thursday 12 March 2015

Help me Auntie, I’m in agony! -叔母さん、助けて。ああ苦しいよ!-

To be in agony means to be in extreme pain.  If you were in extreme physical pain, who would you go to for help?  Perhaps a doctor or a chemist with access to painkillers.

But what if you were in emotional agony?  What if your boyfriend had just dumped you and there seemed to be no way forward?  What if your mother were sick and you were agonising over whether to care for her yourself or place her in a home to be cared for by professionals?  Who could help you with that kind of dilemma?  Perhaps what you need is an agony aunt.
Agony aunt columns are popular features of many newspapers and magazines.  People who have problems write in anonymously and someone – often a woman, and often of advanced years and experience, hence the title “aunt” – will give you advice.  Of course, they do not write to you directly.  They print their advice in their newspaper or magazine column for everyone to read.
I sometimes use agony aunt columns in my English lessons.  They often present a moral dilemma, which the students can discuss.  They frequently introduce an interesting situation and an opportunity to practice problem solving role-plays.  They can also introduce some useful vocabulary, often about personal problems and relationships.  So let’s take a look at a typical case. 

Problem:
I am a man in my early twenties.  I am sure that I have found my soulmate.  She is perfect for me in every way and I am certain that she is the one for me to grow old with.

But I am worried that we are too young to get married, and we haven’t had enough experience of life yet.  She is my first girlfriend.  What if we get married and then she or I regret not having had other boyfriends or girlfriends?  I’d like to take a break from each other for a year to experience other things before we get married.
Is it a good idea to take a break?  Or should I marry her now in case I risk losing her?
Young man in agony
 
If you were the agony aunt, what would your advice be? 
 

Vocabulary:
a chemist – In this sense, a chemist is someone who works in a chemists or a drugstore, and prepares drugs for patients.
a painkiller – A drug or medicine which blocks or lessens feelings of pain.

to dump someone – To break off a romantic relationship with someone.
To agonise over something – To feel great stress or worry about something, such as a decision that has to be taken.
a dilemma – A situation when you have to make a difficult decision between two choices.
to do something anonymously – To do something without giving your name.

hence – Therefore; Which is the reason for; which explains

 

 

No comments: