Thursday 11 June 2015

Last words on madness, 1  - 狂気についての最後の言葉1 -

My last two blog posts have concerned psychopaths and mental disorder.  So I thought I would finish off the topic with a wonderful short story on the theme of madness. 

For the very top quality madness, as perhaps you will know from your own experience, you have to go to France.  So below is a short story by French writer Guy de Maupassant.  It is a little long for a blog post so I’ll put it up in two parts.  You will have to wait one more week for the ending. 

The language in the version I had was very challenging, so I have edited it in order to make it simpler.  This was first published in French in 1882.
 

An edited version of “Mad” by Guy de Maupassant, part 1 (of 2): 

Am I insane or jealous? I don’t know which, but I suffer horribly. I committed a crime it is true. But is not insane jealousy, betrayed love, and the terrible pain I endure enough to make anyone commit a crime, without actually being a criminal? 

I have loved this woman to madness —and yet, is it true? Did I love her? No, no! She owned me body and soul, I was her plaything, she ruled me by her smile, her look, the divine form of her body. It was all those things that I loved but the woman contained in that body, I despise her; hate her. I always have hated her, for she is impure. She is but a mass of soft flesh in which lives impurity! 

The first few months of our union were deliriously strange. Her eyes were three different colors. No, I am not insane, I swear they were. They were gray at noon, shaded green at twilight, and blue at sunrise. In moments of love they were blue and nervous. Her lips trembled and often the tip of her pink tongue could be seen, as that of a reptile ready to hiss. When she raised her heavy lids and I saw that passionate look, I shuddered, not only for the unceasing desire to possess her, but for the desire to kill this beast. 

When she walked across the room each step resounded in my heart. When she disrobed and emerged impure but radiant from the white mass of linen and lace, a sudden weakness seized me, my limbs gave way beneath me, and my chest heaved; I was faint, coward that I was!

Each morning when she awoke I waited for that first look, my heart filled with rage and hatred for this beast whose slave I was; but when she fixed those blue eyes on me, that lazy look showing traces of sleep, it was like a burning, unquenchable fire within me, inciting me to passion. 

When she opened her eyes that day I saw a dull, indifferent look; a look devoid of desire, and I knew then she was tired of me. I saw it, knew it, felt right away that it was all over, and each hour and minute proved to me that I was right. When I beckoned her with my arms and lips she shrank from me.

"Leave me alone," she said. "You are horrid!" 

Then I became suspicious, insanely jealous; but I am not insane, no indeed! I watched her slyly; not that she had betrayed me, but she was so cold that I knew another would soon take my place.
 

Vocabulary:

to betray – to be unfaithful or disloyal

to endure – to bear something unpleasant, like pain or discomfort

to despise – to hate with intensity

deliriously – madly, crazily

twilight – The half light when the sun is below the horizon

to possess – to own

to disrobe – to undress; to take off a robe

to be radiant – to be glowing; shining

to be unquenchable – to be something which cannot be extinguished, put out or removed. For example: He has an unquenchable thirst for knowledge. He is always eager to learn new things.

to incite – to cause; inspire.  For example: His words incited the crowd to violence.

to be indifferent – to be without interest or emotion

to be devoid of something – to be entirely without something.  For example: He killed himself because he was devoid of hope.

to beckon – to make a motion encouraging someone to come closer

to shrink from – to move away from; to be unwilling to go near

slyly – cunningly; secretively



 

No comments: