Thursday 13 August 2015

When the world is going wrong -世界は間違っている-

“[I] feel bad this morning,

Ain’t got no home,

[There’s] no use in worrying,
‘Cause the world’s going wrong.” 
 
So said the band the Mississippi Sheiks.  I imagine that they had bigger problems to worry about than many today, since they lived in the era of the 1930s Great Depression and in the American South before the civil rights reforms of the post-war period.
Still, we all have our problems.  Today I’d like to look at a few idioms in English used to talk about difficulties and troubles.  Hopefully you won’t have much need to use them... 

1 - A problem shared is a problem halved
The meaning of this idiom is clear enough.  Getting advice about your problems from another person can take a weight off your mind.
On the other hand, people sometimes twist the idiom around and say ironically, “A problem shared is a problem doubled.”

2 - That’s an accident waiting to happen.
We use this idiom when we see a potential danger, such as a wet floor without a warning sign or a piece of furniture placed in a way that somebody could trip over.  For example: “You had better move your bicycle.  It is sticking out into the road.  It’s an accident waiting to happen.”

3 – (He’s) asking for trouble.
Similar to the idiom above, this is a warning about a potential danger or future trouble.  Imagine that an office worker regularly arrives late on Monday mornings with a hangover.  His boss hasn’t complained about it yet but if this behaviour continues, the worker will likely face the sack or other disciplinary action.  His colleagues say, “He had better stop coming late.  He’s asking for trouble.”

4 - He’s bitten off more than he can chew.
I hate to swallow large chunks of food.  I like to chew my food into small pieces.  So I don’t like eating raw octopus or squid, which are tough and stringy.  So this idiom is quite appropriate for me.  I sometimes take a bite of food and regret it. 
But we use this idiom more generally, to mean that someone has taken on a problem too large for them to handle.  For example, someone pushes to get a promotion and becomes manager.  Then they find that they can’t handle the extra workload and responsibilities.  They might say regretfully, “I think I bit off more than I could chew taking this job.  I wish I had stayed where I was.” 
 
Vocabulary:
the Great Depression – The period after the 1929 stock market crash which greatly damaged the world economy
post-war – after the war
to halve – to reduce in size, number etc. by 50 per cent
a hangover – a feeling of illness, headaches etc. experienced the day after drinking a lot of alcohol
(to get) the sack – to be sacked or fired from work; to be removed from your position of employment
disciplinary action – formal punishment for improper behaviour
a chunk – a big piece
stringy – thin and tough like string.  About food, containing tough fibres; hard to eat
 
 
 
 

No comments: