Thursday 7 July 2016

I want my 14 minutes and 55 seconds of fame! -14分55秒の名声がほしい!-

“In the future, everyone will be world famous for 15 minutes.”
Andy Warhol
“On the Web, everyone will be famous to 15 people.”
Attributed to Scottish artist, Momus
 

Andy Warhol’s comment in the 1960s that everyone would, in the future, have 15 minutes of fame has become something of a cliché.  With the democratisation of sources of news and information, such as social media, Youtube, and even humble blogs, the idea has seemed prescient.
The more recent quote that on the Web, everyone will be famous to 15 people is a humorous, but also telling observation.  If more people are providing information, then fewer people must be accessing each source of information.  Bloggers and Youtube posters can have fame of a sort...  if the 15 people who read or watch really love their posts.  By the way, it would be rude to ask how many people read this blog!
Anyway, I had brief contact with a more traditional source of news recently.  Just before the British referendum on leaving the EU, I got a call from a Japanese tv station, asking if I would appear on a national morning news show to give my opinion on the vote.
Naturally, I immediately thought of the advertising possibilities and agreed.  If I could just get them to mention my Tokyo English school - Nerima English - or the fact that I teach Skype lessons and telephone lessons to students who could be anywhere in Japan.  The students would come flooding in.  Wouldn’t they?
So a cameraman and an interviewer came round to my school and talked to me in Japanese for about 15 minutes.
We immediately ran into difficulties.  The interviewer asked if I agreed with the proposal in the referendum, or disagreed (賛成しますか? または賛成しませんか?)  This confused me.  The referendum question was worded without a Yes or No answer in English.  It asked, “Should the UK leave the European Union, or remain in the European Union?”

Interviewer:  Do you agree with the referendum proposal or disagree?
Me:  Um...  What?
Interviewer:  Umm...
Me:  I want to stay in the EU.  Do you understand?
Interviewer:  Ah, okay.  Let’s move on. 

The interviewer then asked me why I wanted to remain in the EU.  I took a deep breath and then started a long, rambling speech.  I tried to explain that I was worried about the direction a leave vote would send British politics in.  I explained about the workers’ rights that the EU protects, and my fears that a UK outside of the EU would try to gain an economic advantage by ending these protections, and perhaps ending our wonderful free health-care system.
I spoke about other points and fears – about Scotland’s future being unclear, damage to the economy and Britain’s influence in the world, and so on.
And after the exhausting 15 minute interview, what did they show on tv?  I appeared for about 5 seconds.  On the tv screen, I said, “Britain has a free health-care system.”  And then they moved on to another British person.  Viewers wouldn’t even be sure if I supported leaving the EU, or supported remaining.  There was no mention of an English school in Tokyo.  No flood of new students...
I want the rest of my 14 minutes and 55 seconds!  Somebody call Andy Warhol!  I was promised 15 minutes!

 
Vocabulary:

the Web – the worldwide web; the internet
to attribute  a quote to (someone) – to say that (someone) made the quote
a cliché – an overused phrase
prescient – displaying a knowledge of the future, or an ability to accurately predict the future
telling – revealing; significant
to come flooding in – of offers, letters, emails etc., to suddenly appear in huge volumes, like a flood of water
rambling – of a journey or speech, to move randomly and widely from place to place, or from topic to topic
 


No comments: