Thursday 5 October 2017

On starting and finishing ideas, writing and study -アイデア、作文、勉強を始める事と終える事について-


“A marriage is always made up of two people who are prepared to swear that only the other one snores.”
“Some humans would do anything to see if it was possible to do it.  If you put a large switch in some cave somewhere, with a sign on it saying ‘End of the World Switch.  PLEASE DO NOT TOUCH!’, the paint wouldn’t  even have time to dry.”
“Pets are always a help in times of stress.  And in times of starvation, too, of course.”
All from Terry Pratchett
An author, whose books I often used to read when I was a teenager, died a couple of years ago.  Terry Pratchett wrote an amazingly long series of books set in a fantasy world called the Discworld.  He was a very funny writer, as you can see from a few of his quotes above.
I must have read about 25 of his novels.  But at the time of his death, he had completed 70 novels.  And he had 10 more unfinished novels in his computer hard drive.
I didn’t stop reading his books because I had ceased to find them funny.  I just couldn’t keep up.  He was writing faster than I could continue reading, and so I gave up.
I really admire Terry’s sense of humour.  But I also really admire his ability to get things finished.  He had an incredible work-ethic.  He even replied to every fan letter he received, which must have been lots.  Actually, it was probably a big mistake to tell people that he always replied to every fan letter.  All sorts of crazy people must have written, knowing that they would get a response.
I envy Terry’s ability to finish things because I am the kind of person who only likes to start things.  I get extremely enthusiastic for any new project I start.  Then I quickly slip to being only mildly interested, then rather bored or frustrated.  To get rid of my boredom or frustration, I just start something new, and am completely enthusiastic again, for a while.
I used to be ashamed to let anyone see my Japanese language study books.  The reason was that I had a huge pile of them, and I hadn’t read any of them to the end.  I started out with a phrase-book.  Then, after learning a few phrases, I got bored.  So I bought a grammar textbook.  I was convinced that this was the brilliant new way forward, until I became frustrated with reading it.  So I switched to a book of kanji.  I loved that kanji book, until...  You get the idea.
It must be nice to be a person who can see an idea through to the end.  If I were that kind of person then three-quarters of the way through my blog entries, I wouldn’t start thinking, “How nice would a cup of tea be right now?”  One of these days I’m going to learn to fini

Vocabulary:
to swear something – to make a solemn promise that something is true
to snore – to make a loud noise when sleeping because of partly blocked breathing
starvation – a lack of food leading to death
to cease – to stop
to keep up – to match the progress of; to follow without falling behind
a work-ethic – an attitude of hard work

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Hello Will,
Sorry it's not about Pratchet, but i've got so excited to hear the news of Kazuo Ishiguro's winning the
Nobel Prize as i'm a huge fan of him. I remember you talked about the reason why Haruki Murakami cannot win.

BBC says 'The 62-year-old writer said the award was "flabbergastingly flattering", which was interesting for me as i'm not farmiliarwith the word 'flabbergastingly'. But the committees' words
'the great emotional force' seem appropriate. I'd be pleased to hear how you think about the news.
Eiko

Will said...

Hello Eiko,

I like Kazuo Ishiguro’s novels a lot. I think it would be difficult for me to choose whether I preferred Murakami’s or Ishiguro’s novels. But I could easily guess which one the prize committee would prefer.

Murakami’s novels are loud, long, written using complicated descriptions, and also contain a lot of “fan service” (ie. Scenes involving jazz, whiskey and sex) to help sell the novels. Still, his novels are often very deep, original and worthy of praise.

Ishiguro’s novels are almost the complete opposite. They are simply written, quiet, short and highly polished. To choose him is more of a safe choice.

The Nobel Prize Committee made a huge mistake last year in picking Bob Dylan for the Literature Prize. He embarrassed them by not seeming that interested in the prize. So the committee took a safe choice this year. Having said that, I am pleased for Ishiguro. I have read, I think, five of his novels and really enjoyed all of them. The ones I have read are all basically about the same theme: a quiet regret about the past, which cannot be changed.

Murakami drives a Ferrari, so he shouldn’t be too disappointed in not getting the prize. By the way, “flabbergasted” means totally shocked or amazed; unable to speak from surprise

Hope you are well,

Will