Thursday 18 January 2018

Micro-cheating and other micro-actions -ミクロの浮気と、その他のミクロの行動-


I asked one of my female students this week about micro-cheating.
The idea that couples should be careful of micro-cheating has been put forward recently by an Australian psychologist.  She suggested that before someone in a relationship cheats on their partner - in other words has a secret relationship with another person - they will probably be guilty of micro-cheating.  According to this psychologist, micro-cheating means small examples of someone keeping secrets from their partner or focussing instead on another person.
One of the examples she gave was that of someone contacting their ex-boyfriend or ex-girlfriend to say, “Happy birthday!” on their birthday.  I used this as a topic of conversation with my student, and asked her, “So what do you think?  Do you think that is micro-cheating?”
“That’s not micro,” she said coldly.
“Well,” I said,  “Someone in a relationship replies to another friend’s Facebook post with a heart emoji.  Is that micro-cheating?  Or someone saves another person’s number in their phone, but changes their name.  Is that micro-cheating?”
“That’s NOT micro!”
This was turning into a very difficult English lesson.
For me, the odd point about the phrase micro-cheating is one of branding.  Every action or every problem must have had smaller events or examples leading up to it.  Before having a secret affair, someone might have sent a heart emoji to another person.  But sending a heart emoji doesn’t always lead to an affair.  Using the phrase micro-cheating is just a way of making that action sound more serious than it really is.
What if we did the same thing with other actions or problems?
“My wife was micro-violent towards me today.”  She tapped me on the shoulder to get my attention.  Why didn’t she just say my name?
“This morning I micro-murdered my boss.”  I gave him a cigarette.
“I ran a micro-marathon last week.”  I ran twenty metres to catch the bus.
Please leave plenty of heart emojis in the comments section.  My wife is a very understanding woman.

Vocabulary:
to put forward (an idea) – to suggest or promote (an idea)
a psychologist – someone who studies human behaviour, relationships etc.
to focus on something – to make something the centre of your attention
one’s ex-(boyfriend) – one’s former (boyfriend); a (boyfriend) that one has broken up with
odd - strange
branding – the idea of changing the image of something by changing its name, or associating the name with other things or images
to lead up to – to precede in time; if A and B lead up to C then A and B happen a little before C
to have an affair – for someone in a relationship to have another, secret relationship

 

No comments: