Thursday 9 August 2018

Fixing your emails, and texting the professor -Eメールを直すこと、スマホから教授にメールすること-


I once received this email from a student:
Teacher, 
Physical condition not good.
[Student’s name]

*
What a great email!  I think what she meant to say was:
Dear William,
Good morning.
I am terribly sorry but I will have to cancel today’s lesson.  I am not feeling well.
I will email you to book another lesson when I am feeling better.
Regards,
(Student’s name)
*
Of course my former student was not a native speaker of English.  It is understandable if she did not know how to structure an email in her second language.  I was pleased that she took the time to write something in English, instead of simply failing to turn up to the lesson.
Here is a simple structure to follow if you have to write an email in English:
1 – “Dear [William],” or, “Hello [Will],” if you want to be more casual
2 – Simple greetings, such as “Good morning,” or “I hope you are well.”
3 – State simply the purpose of your email.  For example, “I have to cancel today’s lesson,” or, “I would like to take a trial lesson.”
4 – State simply any more specific details, or ask any more specific questions.  For example, “I will email you when I’m feeling better,” or, “Are you free on Saturday at 11am?”
5 – Finish the email with a polite phrase to say goodbye, such as, “Regards,” or, “Thanks,” if you want to be more casual.
6 – Write your name

According to an article I read this week, even many native speakers of English do not feel comfortable writing emails like the one above.  Many young people have grown up with smartphones and text-messaging.  A professor at the University of Ontario claimed that students under the age of 22 feel that emails are too formal.  Emails recognise the status and possible seniority of the person you are addressing.  So she gives her students her mobile phone number and encourages them to text her with questions about coursework instead of emailing.
It sounds like a terrible idea to me.  If the students are too casual then they will feel less guilty about coming late or unprepared.  They are getting a formal education, after all, not going to a beach party.  And does the professor adopt the same casual attitude to the lessons?
“i’ll b l8 for today’s lecture. Just chat amongst urselves for 20 mins.
xxx
The professor”

Vocabulary:
to book something – to reserve something; to arrange a time and place to take a service, such as a lesson or meal at a restaurant
to structure something – to arrange the order of something, or decide how it is put together
to turn up – to appear; to go to something you are expected to go to
specific – not general; relating to small details
“l8” – “late”
“urselves” – “yourselves”
“xxx” – “Kiss, kiss, kiss.”



No comments: