Wednesday 24 April 2019

Confessions of a sardine in love -恋に落ちたイワシの告白-


My love always wears white gloves when her hands caress me.  Her body is hidden behind a smart uniform, but I can feel her brawny arms, her muscles impressive.
Does she know that I love her?  Every morning I keep my face carefully neutral as I turn to face her, masking my excitement.  Regretfully I have to waste a moment as I glance down to check my footing.  Then I gaze into her face as she pushes me away from her.
It’s 7.55am on the Tozai Line on the Tokyo Metro.  Part-time “oshiya”, or people pushers, are employed between 7.30am and 8.30am to deal with the rush hour commuters.  So many more people board the trains than their designed capacity that the last passengers have to enter the crush of bodies on the train backwards, and be pushed inside to allow the doors to close.  For three years now Car no.3 has been handled by my love – a woman in her late thirties with freckles around the eyes, a look of pinched concentration as she works, and arms that are as strong as a mother’s love.
It takes a little guile to always find myself last to board.  Sometimes I have to let trains pass.  I leave the queue, fiddling with my bag or patting my pocket.  Then I let the queue build up again before joining at the back.  Once or twice I couldn’t avoid being swept along by the crowd and had to enter the train.  I couldn’t bear the thought of going to the office without her send off.  So I got off at the next station and went back, and made sure she pushed me properly the second time.  She must have noticed.  Doesn’t she realise how much I love her?
Why do I love her caress?  It’s like an “unbirth” – a birth in reverse.  I stand freely on the platform, before turning around and being pushed into an enclosing womb.  She is mother, doctor and lover, all in one.  I dream that one day she will acknowledge my love.  She will look into my eyes and her pinched face will break into a smile, her freckles dancing at the edge of her eyes.  And instead of pushing me away with her pure white gloves, she will pull me towards her, into her loving embrace.
*
This is not an autobiographical story.  I am not in love with a people pusher on Japan’s subway network!  But I was inspired to imagine the story above when I heard that the friend of one of my students works part-time as a female oshiya.  Is there really never any romance to be found in the pushing of sardines into a tin can on wheels?

Vocabulary:
to caress – to touch or stroke gently or lovingly
brawny – physically strong; muscular
to mask an emotion – to hide an emotion
capacity – the maximum amount that something can, or is supposed to, contain
a crush – a mass of things or people forced closely together
a freckle – a little brown spot on the skin
guile – sly or cunning intelligence
to fiddle with something – to move or handle something in a nervous way
a womb – the part of a woman’s body where a baby grows
autobiographical – of a piece of writing, about the writer or based on his or her life


No comments: