Wednesday 22 January 2020

Day-sleepers -昼間眠る人たち-


I lived in Shanghai for four or five months about twelve years ago.  In such a short period of time I couldn’t get to understand the Chinese culture to any great depth.  But I stayed long enough to notice a number of things that seemed strange to me, or very different from how things would be done in Scotland or Japan. 

Sometimes, when I was walking around Shanghai in the morning, I would see Chinese people in their pyjamas.They might be wearing a bathrobe, or pink fluffy nightwear.  And they would be walking outside in the city too. 

I always wanted to speak to these people and ask them, “Excuse me, but why are you wearing pyjamas outside?  Do you do everything in reverse, and wear a suit and tie in bed?” 

In Scotland, if I saw an elderly person walking outside in pyjamas, I would assume that they were senile.  I would check to see if they were confused or needed any help.  In Japan, if I saw a young person walking outside in pyjamas, I would assume that there was some kind of weird cosplay event, and take a look around for other people dressed as ninjas or robots. 

I don’t know why those people in Shanghai were wearing pyjamas outside.  I suppose that they just felt comfy in pyjamas, and didn’t really care what other people thought of them.  In a way, it could be a powerful symbol of confidence and individuality.  “I don’t care if almost everybody else wears trousers or skirts, sweaters or shirts outside.  I like my pink fluffy bunny pyjamas, and society’s not going to tell me what to do!” 

I was reminded of Chinese in pyjamas by a news article this week.  The local government in Suzhou had to apologise for on-line shaming of citizens who had been caught wearing pyjamas outside. 

Surveillance cameras captured pictures of the pyjama-wearers.  Facial recognition software then identified who the people were.  So the local government criticized them on-line, published the pictures of them in pyjamas, and gave their names and the details on their national ID cards. 

If wearing pyjamas outside really is an expression of confident individuality, I can see why a repressive government, which is installing hundreds of millions of such surveillance cameras around the country, might not like it.



Vocabulary:

not to any great depth– not very well, not very much, etc.

senile – of an elderly person, showing a loss of memory or mental powers because of old age

comfy–comfortable; feeling pleasant

shaming – the act of trying to make people feel ashamed, or guilty about their behaviour

surveillance – close observation, especially of someone suspected of committing crimes or other wrongdoing

repressive–tending to restrict or limit personal freedom or liberty




No comments: