Thursday 26 November 2020

The Wisdom of Little Boys  -小さな坊やたちの知恵-

There was recently a book of philosophy published called something like, “The Wisdom of Cats.”  The idea was to imagine what cats would say about the world if they could talk, and to consider what human society could learn from them.  I don’t have any pets.  But I do have a four year old boy.  What could adult society learn from the wisdom of little boys? 

So here are a few interesting quotes from my son, and my thoughts on what wisdom they contain. 

1

“Daddy, let’s play sumo.  I’ll be Asashoryu.  You can be a weak sumo.” 

Life is a game.  And games are much more fun if you win.  So try to set up the game to your own advantage. Say, “I’ll wash the dishes if you cook dinner.”  If you are lucky, you will be finished in ten minutes, while your partner has to think about a menu, go to the supermarket, and spend much more time cooking.

 

2

When asked why he wasn’t putting his clothes on and getting ready for nursery:

“Daddy, I’m just checking the table for insects.” 

Life is full of boring details, like putting on clothes, and going to work.  But the small things in life and unexpected things can be fascinating.  Live your life looking for small things, and expect the unexpected. Pick up pretty leaves.  And watch the skies for aliens.

 

3

After asking about the biggest and most powerful things in the universe, and getting a variety of answers:

“Daddy, when I was the Big Bang, I became the Buddha.” 

Life is basically about you.  The universe, God, the meaning of existence: it’s all about you.  So be nice to yourself.  Have another cookie.  Upgrade to the deluxe suite.  Go on.  You’re worth it.

 

4

When told that something was too expensive:

“Don’t worry, Daddy.  I will buy money from the future.” 

I think the modern economy already seems to use this wisdom.  Life is about now.  Drink another can of beer.  Let the you in the future worry about a hangover.




 

No comments: