Thursday 26 January 2023

Live Long and Prosper —長寿と繁栄を-

My six year old son loves money. 

I wanted to teach him about the purpose of money, how to use it, and how some coins can be gathered together and exchanged for a single coin, which has the same value.  So a year ago or so I gave him some 1 Yen, 5 Yen, and 10 Yen coins.  I sometimes give him a little extra money as a present, especially if he has been very helpful around the house. 

He doesn’t like to spend his money.  He just gathers it all together in a pile and counts it, like Scrooge. 

My son once saw a 5 Yen coin lying on the ground, and was delighted.  Now, when we go out for a doughnut or lunch somewhere, he scans the pavement, searching for more dropped money. 

Last weekend, my wife took my son to Jindaiji temple.  There is a shrine dedicated to Enmei Kannon-sama.  This deity helps to grant longevity.  If you let the smoke waft over you, it is supposed to extend your life. 

Because I was working that day, I didn’t join them in the temple.  But my wife explained the benefits of the smoke to our son. 

“But what about Daddy?” he said.  “Mummy will live longer, and I will live longer, but not Daddy.” 

“Yes, you’re right,” said my wife.  “That’s too bad for Daddy.” 

My son quickly responded, “What will happen to Daddy’s money when he dies?”


Vocabulary:

a deity – a god or goddess, in a religion which has many gods and goddesses

longevity – long life

to waft – to pass gently through the air, often of a smell or sound



No comments: