Thursday 14 September 2023

A Deal with the Devil -悪魔との取引—

I have been reading an interesting science-fiction series called “Hyperion” recently.  The novels are set in the future, when humans are able to travel deep into space and begin colonising alien worlds.  On one world, the humans find an alien life form which can enter a human’s body and live inside it, keeping the body healthy.  But in order to have this alien implanted, the person must agree to join a particular church, and follow its rules and orders.  In other words, you can have eternal life, but you must give up your soul. 

It reminded me of the story of Faust, who sold his soul to the Devil in order to gain power and knowledge while he was alive. 

In case you are ever asked to make a deal with the Devil, here are some quotes about the topic: 

Faustus: Stay, Mephistopheles, and tell me, what good will my soul do [your lord, the Devil]?

Mephistopheles: Enlarge his kingdom.

Faustus: Is that the reason he tempts us [to sell him our souls]?

Mephistopheles: It is a comfort to the wretched to have companions in misery.

From the Christopher Marlow play, “Doctor Faustus” (1592)

 

The Devil: I've nurtured every sensation man's been inspired to have. I cared about what he wanted and I never judged him. Why? Because I never rejected him. In spite of all his imperfections, I'm a fan of man! I'm a humanist. Maybe the last humanist.

From the film, “The Devil’s Advocate” (1997)

 

You obviously don’t have my soul, or you wouldn’t be trying to make deals.

From “Another Faust” by Daniel Nayeri


In all those stories about people who sold their souls to the devil, I never quite understood why the devil was the bad guy, or why it was okay to screw him out of his soul. They got what they wanted: fame, money, love, whatever—though usually it turned out not to be what they really wanted or expected. Was that the devil's fault? I never thought so. Like John Wayne said, "Life's tough. It's even tougher when you're stupid.

From “The Never-Open Desert Diner” by James Anderson

 



No comments: