Thursday 20 June 2024

Wasshoi! Wasshoi! -ワッショイ!ワッショイ!-

When I got on a train with my wife and son recently, I heard very loud chanting, like a crowd at a festival.  For a while I thought there was a real crowd of people chanting a little way down the carriage. 

But in actual fact somebody was watching a video on their smartphone and, instead of listening through earphones, was letting the soundtrack to the video blare out into the train carriage.  

I whispered in my wife’s ear, “Who is making that noise?” 

“An old lady,” she said. 

I was surprised.  Have Japanese old ladies become so aggressive that they try to dominate train carriages with their music choices? 

After the train moved a couple of stops, we realised what had happened.  The old lady suddenly made a surprised noise and plugged in her earphones correctly.  Then the blaring noise stopped.  She had thought that her earphones were connected and that she was the only one who could hear the loud sounds of the festival. 

It could have been worse.  I wonder what kind of videos an old man might have been watching. 




No comments: