Thursday 9 July 2015

It’s good to talk -話すことは良いことです-

Imagine that you are on a train platform, walking slowly and carefully towards the stairs.  Now imagine that you are walking slowly and carefully because you are blind.  You are using your white cane to follow the tactile pavings (yellow blocks) which run along the ground and lead to the stairs.  But don’t worry: you have used this train platform hundreds of times before, and you know exactly where you are and how to get to where you want to go.  You are only walking slowly to avoid bumping into other people.

Then imagine that without saying a word, someone suddenly grabs your arm and starts physically pulling you in a different direction, towards the escalators.  You would be rather surprised, and probably not terribly happy. 

This happened to me in a train station yesterday.  It doesn’t happen too often but every now and then someone will grab me suddenly as I am walking along, and try to pull me in some direction or other, without saying, “Hello,” or “Excuse me” or , “Hey, can I drag you around like a sack of potatoes?” 
Of course, most people are much more sensible.  On the same day, a little earlier, another person approached me as I was walking towards the ticket gates.  She asked in polite Japanese whether I needed any help.  I told her that I was fine and thanked her for her offer, and we went our separate ways.  I felt pleased by having a little human contact and that somebody was making sure I was okay.  Probably the woman also went away feeling pleased with a little human contact and at having done something nice for another person.  This is obviously a better way to try to help someone. 
“Helping” a vulnerable pedestrian by suddenly grabbing them is a little bit like deciding to fix your neighbour’s tv by breaking in in the middle of the night.  You know that you mean well but to the other party it might be quite alarming... 
Anyway, I shook the guy off and managed to get to my destination without further trouble.  Yesterday reminded me that it is generally nice to interact with friendly people once in a while, and also that it is good to talk. 

Vocabulary:
a tactile paving – This is a tile set into the ground to assist pedestrians who are visually impaired.  They can be found in many train stations in Japan.
every now and then – Occasionally
to be vulnerable – To be in a weak or dangerous state or position
to break in – To enter someone’s house or property by force
to be alarming – To be frightening; causing worry


No comments: