Thursday 18 February 2016

What is a lazy ant doing? - Writing newspaper articles and blogging  怠け者の蟻は何をしてるか? -新聞記事を書いたり、ブログをしているよ


A Japanese friend of mine told me about an interesting item she saw on the news recently.  She told me that some Japanese researchers had studied the behaviour of worker ants and found that some of them are “lazy”.  They stay in their nest and don’t seem to do much while the rest of the worker ants are busy keeping the nest clean and foraging for food.
I thought it was a fascinating story.  You naturally hear about lazy ants and wonder whether there are any parallels in human society.  Am I one of the lazy 20 per cent? Am I one of the hard working 80 per cent?
So when I got home I searched the internet to try to find some news articles about the ants.  In the course of doing my research, I came up with my own theory to explain what the seemingly lazy ants are really doing.  They have tiny little smartphones, too small to be noticed by the researchers.  And they are sitting at home, posting angry comments on blogs.  How did I come up with this remarkable theory?  I will tell you.
Searching for a story about lazy ants, I quickly came across a Japan Times article on this research.  It told me some basic facts: that the study was done by researchers at the University of Hokkaido; that they found 20 per cent of the ants were doing no work; and that the other 80 per cent were having to work harder on their behalf.  The article also then said that even if the hardest workers were removed, the 20 per cent of “lazy” ants did not change their behaviour.
This last point confused me, since it seemed to say the exact opposite of what my Japanese friend had told me.  “Oh, well,” I thought.  She must have misunderstood the story.
Rather than relying on a single source for my information, I continued searching the internet to see if I could find any other articles talking about this study.  I next found a blog which had posted a link to the Japan Times article and had lots of comments from readers underneath the link.  Some of the comments were funny, some were defensive about the benefits of being lazy, some used the study to “prove” that people (yes, human beings) receiving welfare benefits were lazy and should have their benefits taken away from them.  It’s quite impressive to see what leaps in logic can be made from a short article about ants.
I still couldn’t rely on this as confirmation that the Japan Times article was accurate, since the blog was using the exact same article for its information.
So I then found another article discussing the research.  This was from Mainichi, another major Japanese newspaper.  It quoted some of the same facts, but was a longer article giving more details.  And the details it gave were rather surprising!  For example, it said that if the 20 to 30 per cent (not 20 per cent, you will notice) of “lazy” ants were all removed from the colony, leaving only “hard working” ants, then 20 or 30 per cent of the “hard working” ants stopped working and became inactive.  In other words, it seems that having a per centage of ants in the colony doing nothing is actually important for the survival of the colony.
The article then went on to say that the researchers had done computer models to show that if all of the ants worked hard, then they would all become tired at the same time.  This would prove disastrous for the colony as none of the ants would be able to look after the eggs for a time.
Someone reading only the Mainichi article would get the completely opposite impression from the research than someone who only read the Japan Times article.  All of the people who were writing their comments on another blog about removing “lazy” humans’ benefits were ironically too lazy themselves to check the information they were talking about.
Now you can see how obviously true my theory is.  The inactive ants are just sitting around, playing with their smartphones and submitting comments to blogs.  Rumours that one of the ants contributes articles to a major Japanese newspaper cannot be confirmed at this time. 


Vocabulary:
to forage – of a person or animal, to search widely for food or provisions
to come across – to find something by chance
welfare benefits – money paid by governments to people in need, such as the unemployed, disabled etc.
a leap – a large jump
 

 

No comments: