Thursday 7 April 2016

Hi there, Sweet-Lips! Would you like to date me now, or would you like to date me later? -そこのかわい子ちゃん、今すぐ僕とデートしますか?または、後で僕とデートしますか?-


I am being harassed.  All I want to do is go about my daily business – check my emails, write lesson plans, look up some things on the internet etc.  But while I am doing this, I keep getting messages from the same old man throughout the day.  He won’t take no for an answer.  I have tried to ignore him but he’s very persistent.  He sometimes even takes control of my computer and forces me to visit his web-site.
I wondered whether this man has been bothering anyone else.  Do you know him?  His name is Bill Gates.
Well, okay, I don’t know whether Bill is taking an obsessive interest in me personally.  But the marketing tactics of his company, Microsoft, are really getting on my nerves.
It’s their aggressive pushing of Windows 10.  Whenever I turn on my computer, a message will pop up saying, “Great news!  You can now update to Windows 10.  Here are our great new features...” and so on.  If I close the message it just pops up again 20 minutes later.  So if I then read the message and try to find a way to answer it with something like, “No, thank you”, or “Please don’t send me this message again”, or “If you keep harassing me, I’m going to call the police”, I can’t find such an option.  All I can select is either “Get Windows 10 now”, or “Get Windows 10 later”.  I thought that if you were offering something, you had to entice the other person, not just keep annoying them until they give in.  Imagine trying to attract a member of the opposite sex at work.  Would it be acceptable to keep asking them out again and again until they got so tired that they accepted your advances?  (In case anyone is having difficulty answering that one, the correct answer is “No, it would not be acceptable.)
Bill, if this is your seduction technique, then don’t be surprised if people look for other options.  At the moment I would rather smash my computer with a rock and move to a stone age village without internet access than give in and get Windows 10.  I have been known to overreact, however.
“But why wouldn’t you want Windows 10?” you might ask.  “It’s newer and so it must be better.”  Well, maybe.  But newer in my experience usually means more complicated and with more useless features designed to make me spend money.
For example, Windows Media Player was recently updated and Microsoft sent me a message to congratulate me on my good fortune.  The big change was a shop linking my media player to the internet so that I could buy songs directly from Microsoft.  I don’t want to buy songs directly from Microsoft, so I turned the on-line shop feature off.  When I did that, the media player stopped working correctly.  It crashes about 50 per cent of the time I try to use it now.  Honestly, it worked fine before.  I’m sure that newer is better for Microsoft.  I’m just not sure that it’s better for me.
Next week’s blog will be chiselled in stone.  Come to Nerima English and you can take a look.  Will you be coming round now, or coming round later? 


Vocabulary:
to harass – to subject to aggressive pressure or intimidation
not to take no for an answer – to refuse to acknowledge someone’s refusal of an offer

persistent – tending to continue despite opposition, refusal, difficulty etc.
to get on one’s nerves – to annoy or irritate

to pop up – especially of messages on a computer screen, to suddenly appear
to entice – to attract

seduction – the act of persuading someone to enter a romantic or sexual relationship
stone age – of a civilization or society, being at a stage where use of stone tools is common

to chisel – to make marks such as letters in rock, using hard tools

 

 

No comments: