Thursday 29 December 2016

A modest 5-point plan for self improvement in 2017 -2017年の自己改善に向けた控えめな5項目プラン-


At New Year it is customary to make resolutions.  These are promises you make to yourself, for the purpose of self improvement.

To make sure I stick to my resolutions, I have decided to write them down here.  That way, if anybody sees that I am failing to stick to them, they can make me re-read my blog and force me to try harder.
Here are my five modest resolutions.
1
Eat more chocolate
I like my dentist.  His eyes light up when he talks about teeth.  Sometimes when he’s explaining some procedure he wants to do, he pulls out a model of a man’s skull, with jaws and teeth, and runs his fingers over it in excitement.
If I’m going to see more of him next year, I’m going to have to eat more sugar.
2
Put away that exercise bike
Who have I been trying to fool?  That exercise bike just sits in the corner.  And sometimes I bump into it if I’m going somewhere useful, like to the drinks cabinet. 
3
Start smoking cigars again
Now that I have a young son, it is important that he knows how harmful smoking is.  I had better start again, so that he can see me coughing.
4
Study Japanese less
Nobody likes a swot.
5
Put on weight
It would make my wife feel much better.  Every day she would look at me and feel slim.  I would have to put on an awful lot of weight though... 


Vocabulary:
to stick to – of a plan, promise etc., to persevere; to continue as originally planned
for one’s eyes to light up – for someone to show their excitement in their expression
to fool (someone) – to make someone believe in a lie
a cigar – a kind of rolled up tobacco, which is bigger than a cigarette, and which is not directly inhaled when smoked
a swot – a slang term for someone who studies too much; a teacher’s pet
 

No comments: