Thursday 2 February 2017

500 miles -500マイル-

 “I would walk 500 miles,
And I would walk 500 more,
Just to be the man who walked 1,000 miles,
To fall down at your door.”
From the Proclaimers song, “I’m gonna be (500 miles)”
 
“Lord I’m one, Lord I’m two, Lord I’m three, Lord I’m four,
Lord I’m five hundred miles away from home...
Not a shirt on my back, not a penny to my name,
Lord I can’t go home this way.”
Traditional song


Family is important, and it can be hard to be separated.
My family will come to Japan in a couple of weeks.  Given the distance and cost of flights, it’s rare that we get to meet each other.  It’s the worst thing about living in Japan.  Well, it’s at least the second worst thing after having to share a country with AKB48.
But a recent story I found on the BBC puts our difficulty into perspective.
According to the article, a Chinese migrant worker who was living in Shandong Province wished to return to his hometown to see his family for Chinese New Year.  But his family live in Heilongjiang Province, over 1,700 km away.  And the migrant worker couldn’t afford a train ticket.
So he went by bike.  He set off in December, weeks before Chinese New Year.  But he was uneducated and couldn’t read maps.  So he got a bit lost.  30 days into his journey, he was stopped in Anhui Province when he tried to cycle on a highway, and realised that he had been going for hundreds of miles in the wrong direction.  He was 500 km off course.
Touched by his story, the police and workers at the highway tollbooth contributed a little money each, and bought the man a train ticket home.
All’s well that ends well.  I only hope they gave him very clear directions to the train station. 

Vocabulary:
to put something into perspective - to see the true size or extent of something by comparing it with something else
a migrant worker – someone who moves long distances to find or do work
to set off – to begin a journey
to be off course – when following a route, or planned trip, to have gone to the wrong place
a tollbooth – a small room or window for collecting money, especially to use a road or cross a bridge
“All’s well that ends well” – A proverb taken from a Shakespeare play, meaning that something is good if it ends well, even if there are difficulties along the way
 

 

No comments: