Thursday 23 February 2017

Where were you on the night before I started sneezing? -私がくしゃみをし始める前の晩、あなたはどこにいたのですか?-


“I think I must have gotten it from you.”
Pulling out another tissue, she stares accusingly at me.  Never mind that I am still shivering with fever, have a headache, a ripping pain in my throat and enough goo in my nose to fill a small fish tank.  Now I’ve got to feel guilty as well.
“Uudz nyo ma fo datko juzim dalek me.  Adin nyangbaidem enoh enidin.”
(Translation: It’s not my fault that cold germs seem to like me.  I didn’t invite them in or anything.)
Why is it that when we catch a cold, we always look for someone to blame.  We turn into detectives, trying to force a confession out of the person we think has passed “their” cold onto us.
The cold is a virus.  It could have been transmitted to us from any number of sources.  Perhaps the door handle we touched had the virus on it.  Perhaps it was on the handrail we used to help ourselves down the stairs at the station.  Perhaps it was in the mouth of that office worker with the runny nose who coughed right in our face because he was too busy playing a game on his smartphone to cover his mouth.  Okay, maybe it is reasonable to get annoyed about that last one.
I somehow brought home a horrible cold.  It’s so bad that I am starting to wonder if a certain nearby crazy country developed it to assassinate unpopular family members in airports, and it escaped.
Shortly after I caught it, my wife mysteriously got a horrible cold too.  And then my six month old son (Ouch!)  It could be a coincidence, couldn’t it?
Where’s my lawyer?
 
Vocabulary:

to sneeze – to suddenly and violently release air from your nose and mouth, often because of pollen or other irritation
accusingly – Showing blame towards another

to shiver – to shake uncontrollably, as with cold or fever
goo – a slang term for sticky and disgusting fluid
a detective – someone who investigates and solves crimes
a confession – an admission of guilt or wrongdoing
a runny nose – the state when your nose is constantly releasing fluid, often because of a cold
to assassinate – to kill, especially of an important political figure 



 

No comments: