Thursday 27 April 2017

Running out of sympathy with a runny nose -鼻水に対する同情を使いきる-

Normally when you catch a cold, one of the first things that you do is to look for sympathy from other people.  You don’t call it a cold.  You call it something that sounds a bit worse.  “I’ve got a touch of the flu.”  Or, “I think I’ve caught that bug that’s going round.”

Then everyone will feel a little more sympathy for your suffering.  “Do you have a fever?” they ask.
“Well, no.  Not really,” you say.  “I’ve got a sore throat and a runny nose...  But I might come down with a fever at any moment!”

This is a natural human reaction.  It’s not nice to have a sore throat or runny nose.  You can’t sleep well at night.  Every bin in the house becomes nothing but a soggy pile of used tissues.  But people who only catch a cold once or twice a year quickly forget how bad your suffering is.  So it is necessary to exaggerate a little in order to get the sympathy and moral support which will help you recover.
I now have a sore throat.  It seems very much like the beginning of a cold.  I should be exaggerating my symptoms and getting people to say, “There there.  You poor thing.  Hang in there,” or “Let me cook dinner.  You had better rest up in bed.”

But I’m too embarrassed to do it again.  This is my fourth cold in a row.  I have had nothing but one cold after another since about February.  So instead I try to hide my coughs from friends and students.  Rather than exaggerating I find myself playing the symptoms down.  “Sorry.  I think my hayfever is causing me problems again,” I say as I try to breathe after a long cough.
And anyway, my wife and baby son are both coughing too.  They deserve at least as much sympathy as I do.  The bins in our house are going to stay soggy for a while yet.
 

Vocabulary:
“a touch of (the flu)” - a casual phrase, meaning that you have (the flu), but just a little bit

a bug – a casual expression for a virus
to come down with (a fever) – to contract (a fever); to get (a fever)
soggy – of an item such as a tissue or piece of paper, to be so full of water or liquid that it loses its shape

to exaggerate – to make something seem bigger, more important, worse etc. than it really is
in a row - consecutively

to play (something) down – to make (something) seem smaller, less important, less bad etc. than it really is
 


No comments: