Thursday 4 May 2017

Still waiting for my monkey god to emerge -まだ私の猿神様の出現を待っている-

“Born from an egg on a mountain top,
The punkiest monkey that ever popped.
He knew every magic trick under the sun,
To tease the gods and everyone and have some fun.”

From the Godiego song, “Monkey magic”, theme from the tv series, “Monkey”

One of the early blogs I wrote on this site was about the value of perseverance.  I considered the different attitudes to it in the UK and Japan.  One of the points I highlighted was the Japanese idiom, “Ishi no ue ni mo san-nen”, or “Sit upon the rock for three years.”
According to one interpretation of this idiom, you can achieve great things by continuing even a simple thing for a long time.  Perhaps someone learning the piano can greatly improve their technique through constant practice.  If they give up as soon as it becomes boring or difficult then they will never become a great musician.  Over time, perseverance has so much power that it can even warm a stone so much that it splits open if you sit on it for long enough.

Well, I have followed the advice of the idiom and persevered at writing this blog.  This is my 156th article, written at a rate of one a week.  That means I’ve been sitting on this rock for three years.  I’m getting some huge blisters on my bottom.  Has it been worth it?

According to the idiom, what is supposed to happen now?  Does the stone, finally warmed sufficiently by my blistered bottom, turn into an egg and crack open?  What comes out then - a mischievous monkey god?
And what if that doesn’t happen?  What if, after sitting on a rock for three years, I find that it’s still just a rock?
Maybe the idiom can be turned around.  Sit upon the rock for three years.  That’s not a minimum length of time, but a maximum.  If you sit upon a rock for three years and a magic monkey god hasn’t popped out by then, then it is never going to happen.  If you’re still sitting at a piano after three years of effort and can barely play a tune, then it’s time to quit.  Don’t be a fool!  Get off the rock.  Get up and put some ointment on your blistered bottom.  Find another hobby.  Get a girlfriend.  Just get away from that stupid rock!
Oh, well.  In the old article I wrote, I suggested that I would give up alcohol for three nights a week and stick at it.  At least I didn’t sit on that rock for three years.  Perseverance is nice.  But there must be limits.
 

Vocabulary:
to emerge – to come out

perseverance – the habit of continuing something and not quitting
an interpretation – a way of understanding the meaning of something
a blister – a painful swelling on the surface of one’s skin

sufficiently – to an adequate degree; enough
mischievous – causing mischief; tending to play tricks or cause trouble

ointment – a kind of cream used as a medicine to treat blisters, rashes, sore skin etc.




 

No comments: