Thursday 22 June 2017

(I don’t want to be a) Hero of the sky -空の英雄(には、なりたくない)-


It’s a long way up to the ninth floor.  So you press the button for the elevator.  It arrives and the doors open.  It contains only a single, heavily pregnant woman.  Looking at the woman, you marvel that she can be getting out and about so late in her pregnancy.  She looks so heavy that the baby could pop out at any moment. 

What do you do?  Do you smile, step in, and make some baby related comment to share the woman’s joy?  Will you take the lift with her up to the ninth floor? 

Don’t be a fool!  Ask, “Going down?” and pretend that you are waiting for an elevator going in the other direction.  Then breathe a sigh of relief.  If necessary, go and take the stairs just to calm yourself down. 

Why would I give such harsh advice?  I have nothing against pregnant women. 

It’s just that I’ve read so many stories about pregnant women getting stuck in some awkward place, then going into labour, and some unlikely hero having to help deliver the baby.  What if the elevator gets stuck, and you’re the only potential hero in the vicinity? 

This week a baby was born on a flight from Saudi Arabia to India.  The Indian airline promised to allow the baby free flights for life, which sounds nice.  But I also noticed that their statement praised the cabin crew, as well as a passenger who was a nurse, for helping deliver the baby. 

The cabin crew had to help deliver the baby?  Can you imagine the conversations that must have gone on? 

“Um, Tina, could you come through here?” 

“Well I’m a little busy right now.  I’m pouring cups of tea and coffee for the passengers.” 

“Yes, I see that.  But I want you to put down the coffee pot and come and deliver this baby.” 

“But I haven’t finished.  There might be some more passengers who want coffee...” 

“Tina!” 

“Oh, all right.  But I’d better get a bonus for this.  Just promise me you won’t give away my bonus money to the baby as free flights for life or something stupid like that!”
 

Vocabulary:

heavily pregnant – at an advanced stage of pregnancy

to marvel – to wonder; to be amazed

a lift – British English for an elevator

to go into labour – for a pregnant woman or female to start to give birth

to deliver a baby – to help a pregnant woman or female to give birth

to get stuck – to become trapped or unable to move

in the vicinity – in the area nearby

the cabin crew – the staff on an aeroplane



 

No comments: