Thursday 21 September 2017

Charity begins at home -チャリティは、うちで始まる-


I recently wrote about the British student who had to have his bathroom window repaired after his date got stuck in it.  We don’t need to mention again why she climbed into the window.
One point I didn’t talk about was precisely why this student’s story became widely known.
He went onto the internet to a crowdfunding site, basically to beg other people for money to repair his window.  He said that as a poor, 24 year old post-graduate student, he couldn’t afford to pay the 300 Pounds repair bill.
Considering the story of his nightmare date again, I started thinking, “Well he must have at least some money, or he wouldn’t be able to afford to take his date out to a restaurant, or to invite her back for wine.”
I don’t think there’s anything wrong with people collecting money for charity over the internet.  But I could perhaps come up with some better ideas for charities to donate to.  How about people affected by recent earthquakes or hurricanes?  People living in poor countries without clean water?
A young, healthy man in one of the richest countries on the planet needs a new window?  Couldn’t he get a part-time job then?  Or stop going out to restaurants so much?
I also noticed that although the repair bill was 300 Pounds, he collected more than 1,000 Pounds.  When the media asked about it, he promised to give the extra money to a firefighters’ charity.  I wonder if he would have still remembered to do so if his story had not become so famous?
Still, at least his crowdfunding story is not as extreme as that of Zack Danger Brown (I have no idea if Danger is really his middle name, but that’s how it was reported.)  Danger claimed to be a poor student who was struggling to pay for meals which had fresh, healthy vegetables.  So he went onto the internet and begged for 10 Dollars in donations to help him make a potato salad.  Many people found his request funny and sent him money.  In the end, he collected 55,000 Dollars.  Again, I notice that he didn’t shut down his profile very quickly after reaching his 10 Dollar target.  Too busy studying for his exams, I suppose?
Okay, I admit it.  I’m just jealous.  I want to be given lots of money for things I normally have to pay for myself too.  All I need to do is come up with some stupid story to go with my begging letter.
“I’ve got a hole in my slipper.  I need just 1 million dollars to buy a new pair.  By the way, my favourite film is The Wizard of Oz.”
“I’m a poor, struggling English teacher.  I offered my student a cup of tea, and she asked for milk and two sugars.  I need 3 yen to recoup the unexpected expenses.”
Any extra money raised I promise to give to charity.  And charity begins at home, you know.

Vocabulary:
a crowdfunding site – a website set up to collect money from many people, such as for a new business idea or charity
to beg – to ask for food or money as charity
a post-graduate student – a student who has already gained one degree and is pursuing further qualifications, such as a Master’s Degree or Doctorate
to recoup (some money) – to get back (some money) already lost or spent

No comments: