Friday 15 September 2017

Teaching our young to survive in a harsh world -若者に過酷な世界で生き残るのを教えること-


My grandmother used to keep several cats.  When I was a child, I enjoyed visiting her house and playing with them.
One day I moved my hand about quickly on the floor as if it were a mouse.  The cat suddenly pounced on my hand and bit deeply.  That was the end of the game.  I probably ran away and cried.
But the painful experience was a little lesson in life.  Pretending to catch a small, fast moving object is not just a fun game for a cat.  It is also a form of training, maintaining the cat’s ability to catch and kill small animals.
Adult cats teach their young how to hunt and kill by playing these sorts of games.  But what games do humans teach their children?  And is there a deeper meaning to how we play with our own young?
I was thinking about this recently when my wife was struggling to get our one year old son to eat the dinner she had prepared.  She tried to make eating solid food fun for him by turning it into a game.  She pretended to give him some food and then quickly put it into her own mouth.  She encouraged him to do the same thing.  So he offered food to her and then quickly put it into his own mouth instead.  When my wife starts to play this game, my son sometimes grabs and eats his food as fast as possible in order to prevent his mother from stealing it. 
So in one sense the game has been a success.  He enjoys mealtimes more and eats more.
But it also occurred to me that we have taught him how to steal.  We have taught him how to protect his own property from theft.  And we have taught him the value of lying, of pretending to do something in order to trick another person and gain an advantage.  Is this all just a coincidence, or are these useful life skills that humans teach their young so that they can survive in a harsh world?

Vocabulary:
to pounce – to jump on something with speed
to maintain – of a skill, to keep at a high level; to prevent from declining
to struggle to do something – to make an effort to do something, but find it difficult
theft - stealing
 

No comments: