Thursday 28 June 2018

Feeling checked out at the check-out -レジでチェックされている感じ-


“Oh!  Do you like kimchi?”
The lady at the check-out of my local supermarket suddenly strikes up a conversation as she is processing my items.
“Um... yes.  I sometimes make steamed pork and kimchi on a bed of rice.  Or I just put it into a salad...”  I wonder if I am supposed to say more.  Should I ask her if she likes kimchi too?
“Wow, so you like kimchi then!”
“Hmmm...”  Whether I ought to say something more or not, no other kimchi related comments spring to mind.
I awkwardly pay, pick up my packet of kimchi and other items, and wander away.
I don’t think of myself as an unfriendly person.  But random conversations in shops or at the supermarket usually leave me feeling a little awkward.  I can’t think of anything especially interesting to say.  And I’m not sure how long I should let the conversation continue.  What if there is somebody in the queue behind me, who just wants me to shut up about kimchi and let them move forward?
But the next week the lady at the check-out does it again.
“Oh!  So you like rice-crackers as well!”
“Ah, yes.  Crunch-crunch.  Ha ha!”
I leave the supermarket feeling more awkward than ever.  The worst thing is that I now have to be very careful about what I buy, in case the same lady passes further comment on my items.
“Oh!  Two bottles of cheap wine, a jumbo box of chocolates, and some ready-meals for one!  Are you going through a rocky patch in your marriage?” she might say.
Maybe I’m taking the wrong attitude to this.  Having somebody check out and comment on my purchases encourages me to make better choices.  I’ve noticed that I download a lot of classic audio books from Audible.  I’ve listened to Dante, Herodotus and Oscar Wilde.  It may be because they send me a list of recommendations based on my previous purchases.  I wouldn’t want the list only to show sci-fi novels.  A feeling of being watched encourages me to try more challenging books.  Perhaps it will also encourage me to eat fewer unhealthy rice-crackers and more healthy kimchi.
Thank you, lady at the check-out.  Have a nice day.

Vocabulary:
to spring to mind – of a thought, idea etc., to suddenly occur
to wander (away) – to walk (away) leisurely, or without a clear purpose
crunch – the noise of something hard, such as a biscuit, breaking
a ready-meal – a supermarket meal which doesn’t require cooking
to go through a rocky patch (in a relationship) – to go through a difficult time or experience a period of difficulties (in a relationship)

No comments: