Thursday 5 July 2018

Does Amazon know me better than my mother does? – Being scared by book recommendations -アマゾンは母よりも僕を知っているか?おすすめの本でおびえること-


My mother often complains that I never seem to read the books she recommends.  “Have you read that suspense novel I sent you which is set in Japan?”
“No Mum, not yet.  I’ve been, uh... busy.”
“Busy doing what?”
”Reading other books.”
Maybe she doesn’t quite understand the kind of books I like.  Maybe it’s not that.  Maybe I prefer to stumble across great books rather than be pushed towards them.  That way, reading them feels like an unexpected luxury, not a chore.
In any case, satisfying someone with a book recommendation is difficult.  My mother has seen what I have been reading since I was reading Spot the Dog – “See Spot.  Spot runs.  See Spot run.”  If even she has difficulty knowing what I would like to read, then how can Amazon do it?
I wrote a little last week about Audible, an Amazon company, and their book recommendations to me.  It made me think about how they collect data on their users in order to recommend books to them.
For instance, just before my son was born, Audible sent me recommendations for books about parenting – Tips for a new father, How to raise children, etc.  How did they know that I might be interested in such books?  I had never read any books about parenting before, I hadn’t added any to my Audible wish-list, and I hadn’t searched their database for books about parenting.  They must have gotten the data from a purchase I made on Amazon.  My wife ordered some baby nappies or other baby-related items from my Amazon account.  And suddenly Audible, a separate company owned by Amazon, knows that I might be interested in books about parenting.  Isn’t that a little bit scary?
I found three different lists of recommended books that Audible has suggested to me.  They were:
Recommendations, based on your previous purchases;
Recommendations for you inspired by your wish-list;
And Recommendations inspired by your searches.

Be careful what you buy, and even what you search for on Amazon.  They’re watching carefully!
And don’t think that it is just a computer which is making a profile of you.  The computers are operated by humans.  And if you annoy those humans enough, they can use that collected data against you.
In December 2017 it was revealed that a British man had gotten very strange book recommendations from Amazon.  He had complained to Amazon’s help desk about a package delivery.  Then on the same day he got five emails from Amazon with recommendations for books about death and suicide.  Their titles included, “Death,” “Follow you home,” and “Suicide’s an option.”  Amazon later confirmed that an employee had misused the customer’s data and had sent the emails.  They offered the customer a 50 pound gift token as compensation.
Audible’s book recommendations for me were not very helpful.  They included a lot of books I have already read, but didn’t buy on Amazon.  They also recommended Harry Potter.  I’ve no idea why.  Maybe they know that I haven’t bought it, and think that anyone who hasn’t read that book is a fool.  Or maybe when you put all of the collected data on me into a computer programme, it adds up to Harry Potter.
I think I’ll read that suspense novel set in Japan instead.  Thanks, Mum.

Vocabulary:
to stumble across – to find by chance
a chore – a bothersome task; something you have to do
a purchase – the act of buying something
a nappy – something worn by babies because they cannot yet use a toilet
to be inspired by something – to get creative ideas from something
to annoy someone – to make someone slightly angry
to use something against someone – to use something as a tool to harm someone
to misuse – to use something incorrectly or improperly




No comments: