Wednesday 9 January 2019

Hello... Goodbye, Robot-こんにちは…さよなら、ロボット-


It feels really awkward to ignore or brush off someone who is trying to talk to you.  But sometimes it is necessary.  When someone approaches you on the street, trying to sell you something, they can’t be surprised if you mutter an apology and brush past them.  If you are like me then you will feel a flush of guilt as you do so.  It’s not nice to be rude.
I discovered recently that this feeling of guilt for refusing to engage in conversation extends beyond humans.  I felt very guilty the other day about ignoring a robot.
My wife, son and I went to Nerima Culture Centre in order to keep my son occupied for a while.  The centre has an interactive robot there called Pepper.  You can shake hands with it, ask it a few questions and answer a few of the questions it asks you.  My son likes to meet the robot and shake its hand until it says, (in Japanese), “Please handle me gently.”  Perhaps I should call the robot “he” instead of “it”.  I’m not sure that my son can clearly differentiate between the robot and a human.  He quite often gets a bit shy as Pepper starts talking.  When the Culture Centre was shut over New Year and my son asked to see Pepper, we told him that he was sleeping.
When my son activated the robot the other day by shaking his hand, it/he came to life and started asking questions.  “Hi!  It’s nice to talk to you!  Can you guess what my favourite food is?”
But that day my son got distracted by some leaflets and wandered off, leaving Pepper alone.  But Pepper kept talking, trying to overcome the silence from its human companion.  “Eh?  I don’t hear any answer.  I’ll ask you once more.  Can you guess what my favourite food is?”
“Oh, dear!  I couldn’t hear any answer from you.  Let’s try this.  Can you say hello?  Hello?  I’ll try again.  Could you repeat what I say?  Hel-lo...” 
By this time I felt total sympathy for poor Pepper.  I wanted to run over and shout, “Hello, Pepper!  Don’t worry.  I’m here.  You’re not alone!”  But, as with uninvited human salespeople, I just walked away, feeling guilty for my rudeness.
I wonder how soon companies will realise the emotional power of a talking machine?  Can you imagine every vending machine you pass in Tokyo trying to strike up a conversation with you?  “Hi there, Sir!  You look like you need a drink.  Let me guess what your favourite drink is.  It’s lemon water, isn’t it?  Am I right?  Sir?  I don’t hear an answer.  Sir?  Where are you going?  How rude!”

Vocabulary:
to brush someone off – to dismiss or reject someone quickly
to mutter something – to say something in a low and hard to hear voice
a flush – a sudden rush of intense emotion
interactive – of a machine, game etc., responding to a user’s input; two-way
to differentiate – to tell apart

No comments: