Thursday 24 January 2019

The rash and headstrong English – an essay on national prejudices -せっかちで強情な英国人 ~国民の偏見についてのエッセイ -


Most people love their country.  This is a good thing, since we share our country, and all benefit from its success if it can be made to work well.  But there are dangers in loving your country too uncritically.
Today it was announced that British company Dyson would move its headquarters to Singapore.  Most observers think that this is a reaction to Brexit.  This is strange, since the company’s founder, Sir James Dyson, has been one of the most prominent supporters of Brexit.  Although he has always claimed that leaving the EU would be a huge success for Britain because of our hard-work and business skills, now that Brexit is approaching, perhaps he is having to deal with a different reality.
This might be a good time to consider the topic of love for one’s country.  Here is an extract from an essay by 18th century Irish/British writer Oliver Goldsmith on the subject.  I have heavily edited it to make it easier for English students to follow.
An edited extract from, “On national prejudices”, by Oliver Goldsmith
Since I spend most of my time in pubs, coffee houses and other public meeting points, I have an opportunity of observing an infinite variety of characters.  In a recent visit to such a place, I fell into a conversation with half a dozen men who were arguing about politics.
Among many other topics, we talked about the different characters of the various nations of Europe.  One of the men declared that the Dutch were greedy, the French used too much flattery, the Germans were drunkards and gluttons, and the Spaniards proud and bad-tempered.  He said, however, that in bravery, generosity in justice, and in every other virtue the English were the greatest.  The other men smiled and agreed with this remark – all except for me.  I rested my head on my arm and pretended to be thinking about something else so that I didn’t have to answer.
But the man who had spoken was not satisfied.  Addressing me with confidence, he asked me if I agreed.  Although I had not wanted to argue, since he had asked me, I told him my true opinion.  I said that I would not give such strong opinions on Europeans unless I had toured Europe and studied the manners of these nations with great care and accuracy.  I said that a more impartial judge would judge that the Dutch were more frugal and industrious, the French more polite, the Germans more hardy and hard-working, and the Spaniards more easy-going and calm than the English.  I said that although the English were brave and generous, they were at the same time rash and headstrong – tending too much to be overly excited by success and overly depressed by failure.

I could easily see that the whole company began to dislike me before I finished my answer.  Realising that it was pointless to debate further, I left and thought about the absurdity of national prejudices.
If these prejudices were common only among the poorest and lowest of the people, perhaps they might be excused, as these people have few opportunities of correcting them by reading, travelling or conversing with foreigners.  But the sad thing is that they infect the minds even of the richest and highest people.
Those who most often boast of national merit tend to have the least merit of their own.  A weak vine grows around a strong tree because it does not have the strength to support itself.

Vocabulary:
Uncritically – without questioning
a founder – of a business or organisation, someone who starts it
prominent – well-known
infinite – not limited in number
half a dozen - six
flattery – excessive or insincere praise, especially given for one’s own benefit
gluttony – habitual greed or excess in eating
impartial – unbiased; looking at both or all sides equally
frugal – economical with money or food
rash – tending to act too quickly, without enough thought about the consequences
headstrong – stubborn and unwilling to listen to others
absurdity - ridiculousness


No comments: