Thursday 23 July 2020

Appreciating the Small Details of Urban Japan -日本で、都会の細部の有り難みを知ること- ジャパンタイムズに記事が掲載されました


I promised to finish writing a Little Sumo story I started last week.  But today is a public holiday, and I decided to lie on my sofa in my boxer shorts all day, eating from a bag of mixed nuts and listening to podcasts instead.  You shouldn’t work on a public holiday.  Actually, I stood on some scales for the first time in about a year this morning, and found out that I am about 6kg heavier than I was in the recent past.  So maybe I’ll have just a small bag of mixed nuts then.

Because of this holiday, let me keep today’s blog simple.  I will tell you about an article I had published in the Japan Times this week.

I wrote about how difficult it is for people to travel recently – the corona virus has made people scared, there are few flights, and people in other prefectures don’t seem to want visitors from Tokyo.  So I advised foreigners living in Japan to remember that they are living in a fascinating country, and to appreciate some small details which make Japan different from their home country.  I suggested some things such as admiring the stylish jackets of Japanese construction workers, or walking past a tonkotsu ramen restaurant to enjoy the unique smell.

Can you think of any other small details that someone stuck in Tokyo could enjoy?

Here is a link to the article:

No comments: