Thursday 14 July 2022

Let the British Eat Cake -イギリス人は(パンがなければ)ケーキを食べればいいじゃない-

The British Conservative party is now choosing a new leader, who will become Britain’s new Prime Minister.  They will not have to face a general election for another two years. 

To become leader of the Conservative Party, the candidates have to be selected by the members of the Conservative Party, not the general public.  Conservative Party members tend to be older, richer and more right-wing than the general British public.  So all of the candidates are promising more and more tax cuts for rich people if they are selected.  This is despite the fact that the country is facing high inflation, high levels of borrowing, and a cost of living crisis for working class families. 

Here is how the debate sounds to me: 

A:  If you make me Prime Minister, I will spend less on schools, policing and hospitals.  With the money saved, I will provide free strawberries and cream for hard working entrepreneurs, and rich people. 

B:  That’s a stupid idea.  We cannot cut money to schools, policing and hospitals at this difficult time.  Instead, I will steal money from our children and grandchildren, and give it to the elderly.  Also, I will remove taxes on Champagne and caviar to boost the economy. 

C:  That’s crazy, totally crazy.  If I am chosen to be Prime Minister, I will dress up as Margaret Thatcher, and bring back Britain’s hungry spirit by making poor people hungrier.  Then I will start a war against a small and weak country so that we can all feel nostalgic about having once had an empire.

 


No comments: