Thursday 14 March 2024

Mr. Clean —ミスターおそうじ-

My seven year old son has considered many possible future careers.  For a while he wanted to be a sumo wrestler, because he wants to be strong, and he loves eating.  He’d like to be a football player, if only we could teach him to kick the ball straight.  He sometimes expresses a wish to open up a doughnut shop called “Mrs. Doughnut”. 

Now we have added a new future occupation to the list of possibilities: air conditioner cleaner. 

We had our air conditioners cleaned last week, and the man who cleaned them was very friendly and good with children.  He asked my son to help him by checking the level of water in his machine.  My son was delighted to help. 

We paid the man about 23,000 Yen for cleaning our air conditioners. 

“So what do I get for my hard work?” asked my son. 

I offered him a choice between 23 Yen as wages, or else a chocolate cake at Saizeriya.  Although the chocolate cake was worth about ten times more, my son chose the money.  A chocolate cake can be enjoyed for five minutes.  But your first wage packet feels good in your hands for much longer. 




No comments: