Thursday 21 March 2024

Squeezing the Eagle —鷹を握ること-

I heard this song for the first time in a while recently, and enjoyed it.  I like the version by Louis Jordan.  It has an interesting take on the relationship between friendship and money.  And it has some interesting English idioms too.

 

From the song, “Nobody Wants You When You’re Down and Out”:


I once lived the life of a millionaire;

Spending my money, I didn’t care.

Always taking my friends out for a good time –

Buying Champagne, gin and wine.

 

But just as soon as my dough got low,

I couldn’t find a friend [any place I’d] go.

If I ever get my hands on a dollar again,

I’m gonna squeeze it and squeeze it until the eagle grins.

 

Nobody wants you when you’re down and out,

In your pocket – not one penny, and your friends you haven’t any.

And as soon as you get on your feet again,

Everybody is your long lost friend.

It’s mighty strange, without a doubt,

But nobody wants you when you’re down and out.

(Written by Jimmy Cox)

 

Vocabulary:

to be down and out – to be without money, a job, or a place to live

[eg., The writer George Orwell spent some time living on the streets to experience life as a homeless person.  He called his book about his experiences, “Down and Out in London and Paris”.]

Dough – this can be used as a slang term for money

[eg., “I need to get some dough together, so that I can buy a car.]

to get on one’s feet again – to recover and get back to a normal, stable situation

[eg., I need a little time to get back on my feet again after my illness.]

[If you lend me some money now, I’ll pay you back when I get back on my feet again.]




 

No comments: