Thursday 25 December 2014

Dear Santa, all I want for Christmas is... -サンタさんへ、クリスマスにほしいのは・・・-


Have you ever written a letter to Santa Claus?
If you did, what would you ask for?
How about peace on Earth?
Don’t be stupid.  He has the magic ability to stop time and visit every child on Earth in a single night.  But he’s not a miracle-worker.
How about asking Santa for cash?  Or the phone number of the beautiful woman or handsome guy you saw on the train the other day?
No, no.  That won’t work either.  Santa is a strict moralist.  He only gives presents that are appropriate for a humble and deserving person.  If you asked for something inappropriate, he would put your name on the list of bad boys and girls, who don’t get any presents.
Well, are you stuck for ideas?  What is an appropriate present to ask Santa for?
Here is an idea taken from an old song.  It was written in 1944 and first performed by Spike Jones and the City Slickers.
 
- All I Want For Christmas Is My Two Front Teeth ‐
 
Every body Pauses and stares at me
These two teeth are gone as you can see
I don't know just who to blame for this catastrophe!
But my one wish on Christmas Eve is as plain as it can be!
All I want for Christmas
is my two front teeth
 
Vocabulary:
the other day – a day in the recent past
a moralist – someone with a strong sense of what is right and what is wrong.
to be humble – to be modest; not proud; to have small desires.
to be stuck for ideas – to be unable to think of anything.
to blame someone – to say that something is someone’s fault.  For example, my boss blamed me for the company’s poor sales this month.
a catastrophe – a serious disaster.
to be plain – to be obvious
 

No comments: