Thursday 21 January 2016

The razor wars get colourful -カミソリ戦争、色彩に富むー


There was a news story from Britain this week which got a fair amount of attention.  An MP who chairs a committee tasked with protecting women’s rights has complained that some shops charge more for products aimed at women than equivalent ones for men.
She cited an example of one supermarket which sells disposable razors in two colours – pink and blue.  They are identical in every way apart from the colour.  But the pink ones in the women’s toiletry section are double the price of the blue ones in the men’s toiletry section.
The MP said, “This research is astonishing.”  All of the commentators I heard talking about it agreed it was shocking and unacceptable.  I did too, but for a different reason.
Do MPs in Britain really have so much time on their hands?  I mean, if you find that men and women are doing the same job but women are getting paid less, then I expect the MP to investigate why that is happening, punish the companies responsible, and propose ways to stop the same thing from happening in the future.  If women are not being selected for top jobs in some industries, even though the same number of capable candidates are applying, then I expect the MP to investigate and try to improve the situation.
But razor blades?  I don’t think that the women’s liberation movement is going to stand or fall over this issue.
And if you want to investigate the sneaky ways companies make money in an unfair way from razors, I would rather the MP asked the manufacturers why they keep changing the size of their razor blades.  I try to protect the environment and I don’t like unnecessary wastage so, when I started shaving, I bought a good quality razor instead of disposable ones.  Then when the razor blades lost their sharp edge, I would buy new blades to fit into the body of the razor.  This sounds simple enough.  But the company would change the size of the blades very slightly every few months so that I had to buy a new razor anyway.  This got so frustrating that I gave up and started using disposable ones.
That is a crime I expect my MP to sort out!  The pink/blue price difference is just an inconvenience.  After all, there is nothing stopping women from saving 50 pence by walking into the men’s toiletry section and shaving their legs with a blue razor.
Or from shopping in a different supermarket.
Or from walking around with hairy legs.

 
Vocabulary:
an MP – a Member of Parliament; a politician in Britain who has been elected to sit in the House of Commons
to chair something – to lead or head something like a meeting or committee
to be tasked with doing something – to be given responsibility for doing something
equivalent – similar versions of the same thing in another area, field etc.
to cite – to quote ; refer to
disposable – designed to be used and then quickly thrown away

to have time on one’s hands – to have a lack of things to do; to have an excess of free time
the women’s liberation movement – a political campaign to promote women’s rights
sneaky – cunning
to sort something out – to fix, solve or deal with something such as a problem or mess
 
 

 

No comments: