Thursday 29 September 2016

The loss of travel innocence -無邪気な旅行の喪失-


I think I’ve got itchy feet.
I want to feel warm sand shifting under my toes.  I want to smell some exotic, spicy food wafting from a pushcart stall.  I want to hear the bustle of foreign accents haggling over prices in a night market.
I suppose it is the reality of having a newborn baby to look after, who needs fed every three hours.  At the moment, a major family adventure is to put the wee one in a poncho and go for a walk around the block.  There aren’t any shifting sands or food stalls in the block of apartments around ours in Nerima.  I can smell ramen, though.  It was exotic to me once.  And I can hear people talking in a language that used to be totally alien (not that I’m claiming to be perfectly fluent now).  It’ll have to do for the time being.

I remember when I arrived in Japan for the first time being told by another Westerner to try to appreciate everything while the excitement lasted.  He predicted that in the first few months I would walk around being engrossed in a thousand small details.  I would look at some tiles on a roof and marvel at how unusual they were.  I would see a ramen store and breathe deeply the unique aroma.  I would stare at the sea of unfamiliar faces, and wonder what people were saying to each other.  And then after living here for a year, I would pass the tiled rooves without noticing, get annoyed by the smell of yet another ramen restaurant, and wish the people chatting in Japanese next to me would shut up and give me peace.  He was a smart guy, that Westerner.
 
Vocabulary:
to have itchy feet – an idiom, meaning to feel the need to travel or move on
to shift – to move
to waft – of a smell, to pass gently through the air
to bustle – to move in an energetic or busy manner
to haggle – to negotiate vigorously over the price
the wee one – the little one; the baby [“wee” is commonly used in Scottish English]
engrossed – absorbed; fascinated

 




No comments: