Thursday 31 May 2018

What are the most valuable things everyone should know? -みんなが知るべき一番価値のあるものは何ですか?-


My sister once asked me to write some life advice down in a baby book to be given to her daughter when she grew up.  Basically, I had to consider the question, “What are the most valuable things everyone should know?”  I thought about the mistakes I had made in my life and came up with some advice such as “Don’t trust dentists,” and “Never open a third bottle of wine.”  Having had a little more time to consider, I would like to add, “It may be very hard to get anyone except your mum to read your short stories,” and “Never schedule an English lesson with a university student at 9am (because they probably won’t turn up).”
Recently I found someone who has put much more thought into making rules for life.  A Canadian psychologist, Jordan Peterson, wrote a successful book based on 12 of his rules for life.  I enjoyed reading it and found a longer list of rules for life he had posted on the internet.  I’d like to print a few of them below.  Which ones do you agree with?

A selection of Jordan Peterson’s rules for life:
Tell the truth.
Do not do things that you hate.
Pursue what is meaningful, not what is expedient.
If you have to choose, be the one who does things, instead of the one who is seen to do things.
Pay attention.
Assume that the person you are listening to might know something you need to know.  Listen to them hard enough so that they will share it with you.
Plan and work diligently to retain the romance in your relationships.
Be careful who you share good news with.
Be careful who you share bad news with.
Compare yourself to who you were yesterday, not to who someone else is today.
Work as hard as you can on at least one thing and see what happens.
Maintain your connections with people.
Ask someone to do you a small favour so that he or she can ask you to do one in the future.
Do not try to rescue someone who does not want to be rescued, and be very careful about rescuing someone who does.
Do not let your children do anything that makes you dislike them.
Do not transform your wife into a maid.
Pet a cat when you encounter one on the street.
Do not bother children when they are skateboarding.
*
I wish I had known some of these things earlier.  I could have avoided a lot of mistakes.  I never would have bought that maid’s costume for my wife’s birthday, for example.

Vocabulary:
to turn up – to appear; to attend
a psychologist – someone who studies the human mind and human behaviour
to pursue – to try to get; to chase
expedient – convenient and practical in the short-term
to assume – to suppose or think something, without proof
diligently – with care and hard work
to retain – to keep
to do someone a favour – to do something kind or helpful for someone
to transform something – to change the nature of something

No comments: