Thursday 1 November 2018

The paralysing effects of Gaijinphobia -ガイジン恐怖症による麻痺の効果-


A phobia is an irrational fear.  They come in many different types, and they all cause problems.  For example, acrophobia is a fear of heights.  Someone who suffers from it may not be able to climb a tower or walk across a narrow bridge.  Claustrophobia is an irrational fear of small spaces.  Someone who suffers from it may not be able to enter a lift.  I would like to propose a new type of phobia: gaijinphobia.
“Gaijin” is the Japanese word for foreigner.  So gaijinphobia means a fear of foreigners.  There is already a similar word – xenophobia.  But xenophobia is usually used to mean dislike of or prejudice towards people from another country, like racism is a dislike of or prejudice against people of a different race.  I imagine gaijinphobia to be a little different, and less nasty.  It should mean a fear of talking to foreigners, especially for someone brought up in an island nation like Japan, which is a little cut off from the rest of the world.
I’ll give you an example.  Before I became blind I often used to go into coffee shops in Japan to relax and read a newspaper.  I would go up to the counter to order.  As I approached the counter I would sometimes see a look of panic in the staff member who was getting ready to take my order.  I could almost see them thinking, “Oh no – a gaijin!  Please don’t speak to me in English!  Please don’t cause me any embarrassment!”
It should not be hard to order a drink in a coffee shop.  Most of the vocabulary needed is basically the same in English as in Japanese – hot coffee/ hotto kohii and iced tea/ aisu tii, for example.  But when I tried to order the staff member would often be so nervous that they couldn’t understand whether I was saying hot or iced, or coffee or tea.  Their gaijinphobia was paralysing them with fear.  I don’t think it is a reason to get angry.  I find it kind of funny.
So I had to laugh when I read about an even more serious instance of gaijinphobia this week.  A staff member at Shinjuku Gyoen National Garden was caught letting foreigners in for free.  Everyone was supposed to pay 200 yen to enter.  An investigation revealed that he had been doing this for years.  He had let thousands of foreigners into the garden for free, resulting in lost revenue of 25 million yen, or nearly 200,000 pounds.
When he was asked to explain his actions, he said that he had once been shouted at by a foreigner.  He had developed a deep fear of talking to foreigners, and so got around the problem by just waving them all into the gardens for free.
So you see that gaijinphobia is a less nasty word than xenophobia or racism.  It sometimes works out quite well for the gaijin.

Vocabulary:
irrational – not logical or reasonable
to propose something – to suggest something
prejudice – unfair opinion, not based on evidence; having a pre-conceived idea about something
nasty – very unpleasant or bad


No comments: