Thursday 14 February 2019

Peace and blame -平和と非難-


The ten year-old girl came stalking over to me and pointed.  Her eyes were hot with anger.  “Your country did this to us!”  Her voice was shaking with emotion.  She waited for me to accept the blame and apologise.
We were at the Maruki Gallery in Saitama, where you can see the collected works of Iri Maruki, who was born in Hiroshima and survived the atomic bombing.  He painted many works about the suffering of the victims, as well as other paintings depicting the victims of the Japanese invasion of Asia and the victims of war in many countries around the world.
The children were on a school excursion, and I had been invited to accompany them.  The gallery was divided into two floors, with the paintings about Hiroshima on one floor, and the paintings about other victims on the other floor.  I was just an assistant language teacher and so did not have any specific responsibility for looking after a group of children.  I was able to walk around freely and I saw both parts of the gallery.
I got the impression that the artist had a strong sense of the horrible suffering caused by war and his view that in war all countries were capable of committing acts of evil.  He wanted people to understand the suffering of the victims of the atomic bombing not because they were Japanese, but because they were people.
The children did not have the chance to walk around freely, and they were only shown the paintings about Hiroshima.  They then sat and listened to a lecture about the sufferings of the Japanese.  Without seeing the other floor and only seeing victims and stories from one country, the children came away with the impression that the only, or main, victims of the war were Japanese.  And at least one girl was made so angry that she confronted me about it and expected me to apologise.
I told her that I wasn’t American, that I wasn’t born during the war, that my father wasn’t even born during the war, that Japanese soldiers had killed people too, and that maybe she had missed the point of the art exhibition.  But I didn’t say any more in case the school got angry at me for interfering with their educational policy.
I’d like to think that the girl is now old enough to have a wider view of both war and life.  Or perhaps she spends her evenings posting angry messages on Twitter.  In any case, I read a book about victims of another war in another country and remembered going to the gallery.  It is well worth visiting if you have the chance.  The pictures will stay in the back of your mind for many years afterwards.

Vocabulary:
to stalk – to walk forcefully in a proud, stiff or angry manner
to depict – to represent by a drawing, painting or other art form
an excursion – a short trip or tour, especially one for leisure
to interfere with  - to get involved without invitation or necessity


No comments: