Friday 18 March 2022

A Dog’s Life -犬の人生-

I read some inspiring stories about dogs recently, because it is the 150th anniversary of the death of Greyfriars Bobby. 

Bobby was a dog in 19th Century Edinburgh who showed remarkable dedication to his owner after the man’s death.  Bobby spent his days sitting by his former owner’s grave for 14 years after he had died.  A statue now commemorates the loyalty of the dog. 

The Japanese dog Hachiko is similarly remembered for his loyalty to his owner.  The dog would meet his owner at Shibuya Station every day as he came home from work.  He continued to turn up at the station for ten years after his owner’s death, hoping to see him again. 

On the other hand, I am reminded of American comedian Bill Hicks’ observations about his dog and cat. 

“My dog is truly remarkable,” he said.  “He thinks it is his duty to protect my property.  Every time the mailman or a salesman comes to the door, he rushes up and barks at them.  It is as if he is saying – Be careful, be careful, I’m watching you!  This is Bill’s stuff.  Don’t steal it, I’m watching you!” 

Bill continued, “My cat has a different attitude.  When the dog gets agitated and starts barking at visitors, the cat just looks up lazily.  He seems to be saying – What are you getting in a panic about?  Bill’s got home insurance, you know.” 

“And do you know what?” said Bill, “Though the dog works like mad, and the cat does nothing at all, I feed them both the same.  Who’s the smart one?” 

* 

I’m more of a cat person too.


Vocabulary:

to commemorate something – to recall and show respect for something, especially in a formal way, such as a ceremony, public statue, etc.

to get agitated – to become troubled or in a state of nervous energy



 

No comments: