Thursday 24 March 2022

The Strange Thoughts of a 5 Year Old Boy -5才の坊やの不思議な考え-

I was recently listening to the Bonnie Tyler song, “Total Eclipse of the Heart”.  My son is interested in space and eclipses.  A solar eclipse happens when the moon passes between the Earth and the Sun, blocking the Sun’s light, and making the Earth darken briefly.  My son asked me why the song mentioned an eclipse. 

“In an eclipse, the Earth becomes dark.  In this song, she is very lonely, because her boyfriend has left her.  So she feels cold and scared, like being in the darkness of an eclipse.” 

“Why did her boyfriend leave?” my son asked.  “Was he eaten by dinosaurs?” 

That is an interesting image of how a relationship ends. 

Sometimes I am amazed to see how much smarter my son is getting as he gets older.  At other times I can’t help but laugh at his odd ideas about how things work.  Here are a few other odd things he has said recently. 

We watched a YouTube video about volcanoes.  “What would you do if you were standing near a volcano and it erupted?” I asked.  “The hot lava might come out and get you!” 

“Don’t worry, Daddy,” he answered.  “I would just turn the volcano upside down.” 

I suppose if the crater from which the lava was emerging were switched to the bottom, that could work.

My son also likes to ask me questions. 

He asked, If you fall into an infinite hole, Daddy, and I have infinite power, can I save you? 

What a good question. 

He also asked, are vampires troubled by mosquitos? 

It would be a kind of poetic justice if they were – the king of the blood thieves followed by hundreds of little blood thieves.

 

Vocabulary:

upside down – For the part normally at the top to be at the bottom, and the part normally at the bottom to be at the top.  If you turn a glass of water upside down, then the water will spill out.

a crater – a large gap or hole in the ground, shaped like a bowl.  There are craters on the moon, caused by large rocks crashing into the surface.

infinite – continuing forever, without end

 



No comments: