Thursday 31 March 2022

Wolf -オオカミ-

I edited this from one of Aesop’s fables.  It made me think of recent news events.


The Wolf and the Lamb

The wolf wished to be seen as a responsible and moral creature, and so he swore to all the animals that he would not do violence to any creature unless he was first provoked.

One day the wolf came across a lamb in a meadow, which had gone astray.

The wolf said, "Young lamb, last year you grossly insulted me."

"You must be mistaken," bleated the lamb nervously, "I was not then born." 

Then the wolf said, "You take grass from my meadow."

"No, good sir," replied the lamb, "I have not yet tasted grass."

Next, the wolf said, "Then you drink water from my river."

"No," exclaimed the lamb, "I never yet drank water, for as yet my mother's milk is both food and drink to me."

Upon hearing this, the wolf seized him and ate him up, saying, "Well! Even if you are not guilty of these things, I cannot feel safe with you standing in my meadow.”

The tyrant will always find a pretext for his tyranny.


Vocabulary:

to swear something – to make a strong promise

to be provoked – to be made angry or given justification for a negative reaction

to go astray – to become lost from a group

to be grossly insulted – to be deeply insulted

to bleat – to make a noise like a sheep

a tyrant – someone in power who abuses their power

a pretext – something given as a reason for taking action, which is not a real reason, but just an excuse for the action



No comments: