Thursday 16 June 2022

A Scottish Wedding on the Run -スコットランドで駆け落ち婚-

Parents don’t always approve of their child’s decision of a marriage partner.  This is especially true if there is a big age gap between the two lovers. 

A young person who is determined to marry someone that their parents disapprove of might have to run away from home to get married.  In the mid 18th century, it became common for young English people in this situation to run away to Scotland to get married.  The law in England stated that people under the age of 21 needed their parents’ permission to wed, and the wedding could only take place in a church.  In Scotland, however, a young adult did not need their parents’ permission, and didn’t even need to find a church.  So many English couples who could not get the permission of a parent crossed the border into Scotland to marry.  The nearest village on the road from England was Gretna Green, and it became famous for holding many of these run-away marriages. 

I fear that my own son is planning to run away to Scotland to get married, since his mother and I do not approve of his chosen partner.  I can’t accept a wedding between them, because the age gap is insurmountable.  The woman is a nursery teacher in her thirties, and my son is just five. 

My son apparently said to his favourite female nursery teacher, “I will take you to Scotland.  Why don’t you come with me?” 

His teacher laughed, and agreed.  Later, she told us the story. 

We didn’t mention anything to our son about it, but it seems he is really taking the idea seriously.  When he was sitting at the dinner table, he started muttering to himself. 

“But I might wet my pants on the plane..” 

He is clearly thinking through some of the difficulties of his plan.  I hope he sees sense and reconsiders.  When he posts his wedding photos on Facebook, what will the neighbors say?

 

Vocabulary:

to be insurmountable – too great to be overcome (For example, “We will never succeed.  The problems are insurmountable.”)

to mutter – to say something in a low or hard to hear voice, especially in dissatisfaction or irritation

 



No comments: