Thursday 9 June 2022

The A toZ of Dates to Avoid: A -AからZまでのダメダメデート:A編-

My wife recently told me about a Japanese podcaster who warned against dating three kinds of men: creators, cameramen, and curry enthusiasts. 

People who work in creative fields such as artists or influencers probably don’t have a regular salary.  You never know when a cameraman might be secretly filming you!  And curry enthusiasts, who have a dozen different types of spice and always have a new curry stewing in the pot, are probably a bit of a bother to live with. 

The name of the podcast is “Over the Sun,” in case you would like to hear about the three ‘C’s you must avoid when dating men (in Japanese). 

I liked the idea of giving dating warnings by letter.  So I will start with some warnings about the three ‘A’s of women you should avoid dating, in my experience.

 

1 – Astrology believers 

“I never liked her anyway, because she is a Libra, and, of course, I don’t get on with Libras.” 

Leave before your house fills up with healing crystals and the smell of incense.  You cannot reason with someone who believes in magic.

 

2 – Always prattling 

“You’ll never guess what happened at work today – Jenny, that’s the new girl, ate three cookies, and these were chocolate cookies, which are my favourite – you know when you open one packet, you’re already thinking about opening another – and anyway…” 

My ears are tired just thinking about it.  Never date someone who talks without using full stops.

 

3 – Anime geeks

“Before coming to the bedroom, Darling, could you put on your ninja costume.  I’ll just go and get my cat ears.” 

Actually, to be honest, I could probably live with this problem.  But living with an anime geek may involve a lot of hard work doing cosplay and searching for rare plastic figurines in Akihabara.

 

Other ‘A’s to be careful of include “Ant keepers,” “Acroyoga addicts,” and “Axe throwers.”

 

Vocabulary:

an enthusiast – someone who gets very excited or enthusiastic about one hobby or activity

an influencer – someone, often on Youtube or TikTok, who makes money by attracting followers on a social media platform

to prattle – to talk at length about unimportant or irrelevant topics or details

a figurine – a small model representing a character, person, animal, etc




 

No comments: